Tuesday, June 22, 2004

POPCORN: Ignoring the Fire... Trying to Find a local venue for F911

I've worked in enough movie theaters to know Monday is when the bookings come in. Eagerly, I checked Fandango and Fahrenheit 911's website to see if the Regal Entertainment Group dominated region I live in will get a copy of F911.



Sadly, my fears were confirmed. I would like to catch a 7 p.m. showing at the 13 screen multiplex across the street from my office on Friday, but won't have that option. I wouldn't mind the 20 minute drive to the next town over to a 16 screen multiplex. Again, REG has eliminated that option as well. I will spend an hours drive into downtown Baltimore to the Charles Theater or a drive north to Harrisburg's Midtown Cinemas. If I want a theater with better seating and projection, I can drive a little over an hour east to Regal Oaks 24 where 1 screen was spared to display this film.

It's really quite sad that the small cities and large towns in middle America are not being offered a chance to see this film. I don't know what the specifics stats are, but Pennsylvania has lost more troops in Iraq than any other state in the union. Those boys and girls aren't just coming from Philadelphia. They are coming from the "Red" counties in between Philly and Pittsburgh. Shouldn't their families have a right to watch this.

Another issue I have with this distribution pattern (I hold REG's Booking system responsible not the films distributors) is that the arthouse's which dominate the platform distribution don't have automated ticket reservation systems. While I'm willing to risk an hours drive for tickets, I'd rather know they were secured with an online Moviefone-like system.

Why is the establiment making it so hard to access this film. After all, it's just a movie right?

3 Comments:

At 5:10 PM, Blogger mr gilbert said...

Hee hee hee...I think I'm going to a midnite screening on Thursday...5 minutes from my house...hee hee hee...

 
At 11:26 AM, Blogger Mitchell - Crumrine said...

Have fun Big City boy! Let me know how it was!

 
At 6:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sadly Regal entertainment has too many politics when it comes to releasing movies it feels dont "represent" their moral and political views. Of course if it going to make tons of money its ok..otherwise.. it will never reach the audience it intended to reach.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home