Tuesday, July 20, 2004

THE BOX - Who doesn't want an Entourage?

Sunday night the new series Entourage premiered on HBO.  I don't know what I was watching, but I wasn't watching HBO.  Monday, a normally bleak night of TV for yours truly, is often reserved for numerous L & O reruns between USA and TNT.  Last night, TNT premiered The Grid which I had absolutely no desire to watch.  I get enough terrorism from Fox News and Jack Bauer. 
 
Anyway, while flipping through the hundred of digital cable channels I have and still not finding much, HBO caught my attention with a hilarious new show... It was the pilot of Entourage.  Granted this HBO, home to the best comedies (besides Arrested DevelopmentThe Simpsons) on TV with Curb Your Enthusiasm and Sex and the CityEntourage seems to pick up where "Sex" left off, except in LA, and except with boys, and the boys are 20 somethings not 30 somethings... okay, so it's not really picking up at all except filling a vacant time slot.
 



 
If you aren't tuning in... START.  I'm so happy I caught the pilot.  After 3 1/2 years at NYU, a summer in LA with an agent in training, and a best friend trying to put his acting skills to profitable use without selling out... this show hit much closer to home than Sex ever did.  And I was a single (sometimes even desperate) professional lady in Manhattan... but $500 manolos... sorry, I went to NYU.  I can't afford those.
 
The most memorable performance and role in the Entourage pilot came from Jeremy Piven ("Old School," "The Larry Sanders Show").  Piven plays Ari the cliched CAA/ICM/WMA agent trying desperately to manage the career of an up and comer played by Adrian Grenier.  (I affectionate referred to him as... hey isn't that the boy from that movie with Clarissa and the Britney video?). 
 
Where a show goes from the pilot is always up in the air, but for at least a half hour Monday night, I felt like I was back in the dorms at NYU with my best boys and their roomates... Nostalgia, great and pathetic all at the same time.
 
Entourage airs a new episode Sunday nights at 10 p.m. with repeats throughout the week.




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home