Wednesday, July 07, 2004

Second Thoughts: Conserving PA



I thought that I would add that I was shocked and proud to see the immense turnout for Fahrenhiet 911 in my hometown of York, PA. The theater was filled with the young and very old. Young being 18-24, and old being 65-90. There were a few, but not many, in between. The woman beside me kept yelling "Shame on you, Mr. Bush" throughout the whole movie while the man behind me commented that "I didn't know there were this many democrats in York." For the first time in my life, I started to have a little faith in my home town. Known as THE republican strong hold and most conservative county in PA, I figured that there would be protesters or Republican party reps set up outside the theater (ala The Passion) to counter the views of film. There was nothing. As it turns out, they, with many of the baby boomers, were over at the republican headquarters standing in line to see W who's making his appearance here in York PA this Friday. I mean, if you're trying to convince the country that PA likes you, and you're Bush, you come to a town which is debating EVOLUTION right now! The party made it known that only Bush supporters would be allowed into the arena and that Ashcroft and the SS were doing thorough background checks. Lucky for me I'm a card carrying Republican. But, last time I checked, he was my president, too. I didn't vote for him, but he represents me in the eyes of the rest of the world. Shouldn't I have that right to see him... to listen to him? Regardless, I don't have a chance to go heckle him on Friday due to work isses. But, I at least would like to know I could if I wanted to.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home