Tuesday, August 10, 2004

Nuclear Meltdown: The Morning After Pills



Okay, being born in 1979 in this region of PA gave the locals yet one more reason to judge us. From grades 1 through 12 we were referred to as the TMI babies. Refering of course to the worst nuclear disaster the United States ever faced at the Three Mile Island nuclear facility. Not being born here, nor living here before I started school, I had no idea what the teachers were talking about. I guess that's whats wrong with everyone else :0P

Anyway, while having my moring crepe and parusing the paper, I found a disturbing article reminding me how close I live to nuclear distruction. This is something I really haven't thought about since my college class on nuclear proliferation when we discussed TMI and terrorists (it's not pleasent stuff).

So, here's the deal. Apparently, the PA Department of Health is distributing "potassium iodide" pills to help sheild the thyroid gland from radioactive iodine that might leak into the air - I don't know what that means but it doesn't sound fun. But just to be clear, the newpaper this morning said, "First of all, get one thing straight. If you're close to one of Pennsylvania's five nuclear power plants and some kind of emergency comes up, get out. Immediately." Wow... thanks for clearing that up. Cause, I was planing to pulling a boat up to the river at TMI and throwing an nuclear BBQ.

So, the health department is now distributing these pills to anyone who is living within a 10 mile radius of the plants. Considering that we have 2 nuclear plants in York County, that means most of us. Not me though... I actually live in a small space inbetween the circles. Yay!

For more information on the entire artcle, click here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home