Monday, September 27, 2004

Blessed are the purchasers of the Best Film Ever!

Tomorrow, Tuesday, September 28th marks the release of what I dare say is the greatest film of all time, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. I'll post a full review of this film after watching it a few more times. I've seen it twice so far. If you haven't yet, this is why you should watch it:



Unlike most films, you gain more from each viewing of Eternal Sunshine. Delivering the performance of a lifetime, Jim Carey introduces us to Joel, a bitter yet brokenhearted man coping with a bad breakup. His solution? To one up his ex-girlfriend, Clementine (Kate Winslet) who erased him from her memory. Using a science fiction premise set inside the psyche of the main characters mind, Eternal Sunshine delivers the most real and powerful encapsulation of the interworkings of the good and bad of a relationship without the standard Hollywood romanticism. It's amazing how Michael Gondry and Charlie Kaufman use an outlandish premise to provoke such astounding realism. Flanked by an amazing supporting staff including Tom Wilkenson, Kirsten Dundst, Elijah Wood, and Mark Ruffulo (with his scene stealing "underpants boogie"), "Eternal Sunshine" does more than live up to it's hype... it far surpasses it.

2 Comments:

At 2:18 AM, Blogger mr gilbert said...

I saw it thrice in the theater, and have watched it 1.5 times since buying the dvd this morning (once for the commentary w/Gondry & Kaufman, and part-way through again). Eternal Sunshine captured my imagination (wow that sounds cheesy) like no movie since The Royal Tenenbaums (yes Angie, I know you're not a Wes fan), perhaps since 1999's Fight Club. I seriously doubt it will get much attention come awards season, but I can always hold out hope that some people will remember it despite its spring release.

BTW: I've been meaning to comment more of late Angie, but as per usual I've fallen behind on all my correspondence & haven't gotten around to doing so. While I don't get your fascination with the Buffy-verse (though my sister would), I've been digging your coverage of the new tv season (wasn't the LO:CI premiere kick ass?).

I hope you keep watching the 3rd season of The Wire, which has been slow but really great thus far. If you didn't see it the first time around, you've got to rent/netflix/buy the show's first season on dvd, which comes out 10/12. Having that backstory will make the current season all the more interesting.

 
At 7:25 AM, Blogger Mitchell - Crumrine said...

True, I'm not a Wes fan but "Royal" is one of my all time favority movies and is enough to make me check out "Aquatic" this fall. Also, Fight Club was my all time favorite movie. I have every frame and inflection of that film memorized. Seven was the reason I went to NYU, Fight Club is the reason why I stayed. The great films of this year including "Sunshine", Garden State, Mean Girls, etc. have continued to inspire me for the first time since 1999. At least enough for me to start writing screenplays. I have one 90% done, one 35% done, and another I'm working on adapting from Ben's novella.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home