Friday, September 24, 2004

Green, Leafy Spinach is Powering the Future (No, Really!)

I absolutely love spinach (fo' real). I eat it everyday. So when I was checking the afternoon edition of the newspaper over my lunch hour (I just happen to be eating spinach at the moment) and found this quirky bit of hopeful environmental news, I just had to share.

Those wacky geniuses at M.I.T. have found a way to harness the energy plants generate from the sun, a process we all hopefully learned in Earth Science of Bio called photosynthesis. Think of it as an organic battery pack. So spinach is really energy packed, for my lap top as well as for my body. Visit the MIT press release for more info and the whole photosynthesis to sandwich to battery source process.

3 Comments:

At 3:52 PM, Blogger Malcowee said...

I love spinach, too, but unfortunately it contains a large amount of oxalic acid. The chemical composition of kidney stones is calcium oxalate. I know a family of spinach farmers and every member of the family has kidney stones.

 
At 3:56 PM, Blogger Mitchell - Crumrine said...

Eek! I don't want any of those! I hear they are worse to pass than giving birth.

 
At 11:16 PM, Blogger Darren said...

I never learned about photosynthesis in Earth Science. I was too busy learning about creationism.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home