Monday, September 06, 2004

In Case You Forgot, Here's a repost:

"YAY! I was just thinking the other day to myself, hmmm... I wonder when Season 4 of Angel is coming out."

That was two months ago. Tomorrow, my wait is over. Yes, the cover art still pisses me off, which you can read more about in my original post.


(best television, ever)


To refresh, Season 3 of Angel is quite possibly the best season of television, ever. Better than Buffy, better than 24, better than the Sopranos. Yes, I honestly think it was that good. If you've never seen an episode of Angel, I highly recommend the reruns on TNT. After getting his own series, the character of Angel is not just the brooding boyfriend of Buffy lost in meloncholy memories like the gothic-romance storylines of the early Buffy the Vampire episodes. In fact, I was not a fan of his character at all on Buffy, same with the character of Cordelia Chase. But once on their own in L.A., the vampire and his gorgeous gal pal fight through the darkness. Unlike on Buffy, the darkness almost always wins.

(Joss Whedon's take on the perils of unprotected sex)

There were many behind the scenes issues with season 4. The leading lady became with child, which then according to rumor, forced the creator to completely alter the character arc of the season. There was no way around this pregancy the way sitcoms conquer the plots. A blade wielding hottie doesn't all of a sudden start carrying boxes alot and dress in designer trench coats. What could have been, we'll most likely never know. Not to mention, this was concurrent to the last season of Buffy. Since both shows exist inside the Buffyverse, an impending Apocolypse an hour north in Sunnydale would have to be touched on.

With all that in mind, I can't see how 4 could live up to the neo noirish beauty of season 3. I've done my best to avoid reading too much so that I can enjoy the season. What I do know is that that bad things happen when you fall victim to lust with the enchanted son of the vampire you're in love with. (Watch season 3) Okay, so I did catch pieces.

Is the Buffyverse still alive? (I mean outside the hearts and fanfiction of buffynuts)

Back in July, I reported that James Marsters (Spike) let leak that Joss approached him about doing 1 of a series of 4 Buffy TV movies. Kristen, of "Watch with Kristen" fame, seemed to slightly confirm this possiblity. Here's a quote from Garth Ancier upon his seizure of control of the WB this summer:

"I wasn't there. I don't know what choices the network really had in terms of new programming. But I certainly recognize and appreciate the loyal fan base of that show. We've had serious conversation to do some Angel movies, and that's a definite way to go, as long Joss Whedon and David Boreanaz ultimately feel that they want to embrace that as well."
(click here for the whole report)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home