Wednesday, December 15, 2004

POPCORN: Does The Life Aquatic sink in a sea of hope?

Earlier this week, I directed everyone to Darren's blog to read his comments on Sideways, everyone's "it" film this critical season. I was surprised to read Darren's luke warm review of an Alexander Payne film. While he by no means says that the film is "bad", but instead it failed to live up to Darren's Payne anticipation.



It seems that the same affliction has also struck my dear friend Jon over at The Big Ticket who sneaked an advanced screening of The Life Aquatic. I have yet to meet a bigger Wes Anderson fan than Mr. Gilbert. Just like Darren, he by no means declared the film "bad" just not out of the box "great". To read more on his Aquatic thoughts, visit The Big Ticket.

Might I also add that Jon is mid-way through his Big Ticket '04 Mix release of .mp3s. His taste in tracks is excellent, so make sure to take the time to expand your musical horizons. Ironically, through most of college, I found his taste in music horrid. To be fair, I believe the feeling was mutual. Who would have believed our audio palates would ever find a common ground? Not me.

Last thoughts... I've seen three of Payne's previous films (Citizen Ruth, Election, About Schmidt) and three of Anderson's (Bottle Rocket, Rushmore, The Royal Tenenbaums). I loved Payne's first two film and hated the third, which is inversely true of Anderson. In fact, The Royal Tenenbaums is one of my all time favorite films. It probably doesn't help the fact that I have an irrational distaste for Owen Wilson (love Luke though). I'm excited to see what Anderson does with his newest collaborator Noah Baumbach. If you don't know who Mr. Baumbach is, you should. Rent (since you can't buy anymore) Kicking and Screaming today. Yes, go do it right now. K & S is my fiance's all time favorite film, so much so I devoted myself to tracking down a mint condition original one sheet for him last Christmas along with the rare and long out of print CD, Smile from the Streets You Hold. So (since I'm on a random stream of consciousness thought) how can I top that this Christmas? While not settling for "bad" presents, I believe I have set my own standards too high leading to only disappoint on Christmas morning.

7 Comments:

At 11:08 AM, Blogger Darren said...

OBJECTION! How is an 8/10 lukewarm? Sideways is a very good film. In fact, I believe I said the film was perfect for about 75% of its running time. However, I think his other films are better. I also like to consider myself lucky in that I can clear my mind before watching a film, shutting off any expectations I might have had. I was lucky enough to see Sideways (and Lost In Translation, for that matter) before the awards hoopla and didn't have that to drag it down. I have a feeling Sideways, much like LIT, is very soon going to see a backlash and people will begin going 'what's the big deal about that?' which I will observe is very bad because its a very good movie.

 
At 11:14 AM, Blogger Mitchell - Crumrine said...

I guess I didn't make myself clear and excuse my use of the phrase "lukewarm". Neither of you said anything rather negative about either film, just that both did not live up to each filmmakers prior work. When you compare either film to any other "general film" out there, I'm sure they are both good films. Granted, I haven't seen either. It's all about context.

 
At 2:47 PM, Blogger mr gilbert said...

angie, i did say negative things about wes' movie, but i also liked it & went out the next day & bought the soundtrack. i need to see it again, but it doesn't live up to anderson's previous films imo, whether you liked them or not. it tries to be very big, but it doesn't quite hold together.

again, that's my first impression, and w/a terrible sound system.

i think sideways is a very good movie, small but nice, and it ought to end up on some year-end top ten lists. but people seem to be going overboard imo, because i really don't think it's the best movie of the year. i haven't seen everything, but i think i've seen enough to know that.

re: your aversion to owen, i have a friend who refuses to see rushmore because of a severe distaste for olivia williams. to each his/her own.

 
At 2:56 PM, Blogger mr gilbert said...

re: tastes in music, i openly admit to listening to a lot of jambands toward during college, both good & bad. but i listened to plenty of other stuff too, though i didn't become a full-on indie junkie & daily pitchfork reader until the last couple of years. angie, you had some questionable selections in your cd collection back then too, if i recall correctly. thank god for the internet.

btw: got you holiday/save-the-date card recently - very nice. you're so grown up & professional & everything, and i'm so freakin' irresponsible & pathetic. good for you, not so much for me, but oh-f**king-well...

 
At 3:02 PM, Blogger Mitchell - Crumrine said...

I love these boys!

 
At 4:33 PM, Blogger djbenvolio said...

indeed, last christmas was the best ever. as she said, go...go rent kicking and screaming now! i haven't seen rushmore, and as far as the other two go, i like neither of them. i won't trash them saying they suck or anything, they just weren't for me. this however i do like. http://www.fat-pie.com/salad.htm

ok, off to watch audition.

 
At 5:57 PM, Blogger mr gilbert said...

i nearly wore out my vhs copy of kicking & screaming during college. maybe someday there will be a dvd...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home