Tuesday, December 07, 2004

POPCORN: Something Wicked-Awesome This Way Comes... Year Three


Yeah, so can we just get this Oscar thing over with now... or do I have to wait until I'm 20?

Harry Potter & The Prisoner of Azkaban: 8/10

Those pesky Potter kids are growing up and so are the quality of these films. Year One (Sorcorer's or Philosopher's Stone) was my first exposure to Harry Potter and his wonderful world of wizardry. I've alway been a huge fantasy fan and was disappointed by how unoriginal the story was. I loved the film The Worst Witch as a child; I guess that dates me though. Regardless, J.K. Rowling could buy and sell my whole family, so who am I to judge. Anyway, I was impressed by the first film, but since I was riding high on the LOTR releases... I wasn't blown away. Chamber left little for me as I thought it was a fair follow up, but not a great film.



Year Three has Harry finally dishing it out to his beloved muggle family before becoming entangled in a dark mystery about the nature of his parents, their death, and his ultimate fate.
Azkaban matures this franchise all around from a glorious children's story to a darkly mystical tale of family, betrayal, friendship, and character. For those of your who know me, I'm not just saying that because Gary Oldman makes a long cameo. Even if you hated the first two, Year Three is worth the watch. From Emma Watson's breakout role as Hermione Granger to the top notch cinematography to the haunting theme, "Something Wicked This Way Comes." This is one of the most beautiful films I've seen since Chicago and I hope it's rewarded as such.


Not even 16 yet, Miss Watson delivers the best breakout role for someone her age since Natalie Portman captured the world in The Professional.

1 Comments:

At 1:08 PM, Blogger Darren said...

The girl needs to change her name. Emily Watson? Emma Thompson? Throw Kate Winslet in there and I'm confused.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home