Thursday, April 07, 2005

POPCORN: Which Sin City cast member would I most like to have sex with...




That's such a hard question to answer but in the end, it was clear.

So, I finally saw my first theatrical film of year and it wasn't the Ring Two. My current schedule allows only a brief window of opportunity to get into the theater on Saturday or Sunday. Factor in the fact that I despise crowds and can’t afford anything more than matinee prices, and the time table was very narrow. For Sin City, I made it.

Sin City follows three intersecting short stories set in the same corrupt violent metropolis. The film is adapted from the works of Frank Miller and directed by Miller and Robert Rodrigez.

The story of Nancy was by far my favorite. This story opens and closes the film bookending the two other shorts. This portion stars Jessica Alba (in her best performance) as Nancy, a victim of kidnapping an attempted sexual assult who grew up to be a stripper, and Bruce Willis as the cop who saved her as a child. Willis and Alba have a disturbing but great chemistry which works in this noirish tragedy where each character is ultimately a victim of irony. I found this story to be above all else, poetic. It's power was perfect to open and close the film.

The story of Goldie was by far the most violent. It's great to see Mickey Rourke acting again and not in films like Harley Davidson and the Marlboro Man. He even get's to work with Kiera Knightly too. When I was young girl I caught Wild Orchid on Showtime late at night. Let's just say I learned a lot about sex from Mickey Rourke and Zalaman King (9 ½ Weeks, Wild Orchid) long before I learned a lot about sex. Back to the story, so Rourke's character wakes up next to a dead angel/prostitute, Goldie (Jaime King). He's framed for her murder and sets off on a quest for revenge and blood. His quest leads him to Elijah Wood's character, who has a disturbing fetish - think Texas Chainsaw Massacre. (Finally other people realize how creepy Elijah Wood really is)

The story of Old Towne was by far the most comical. I don't know what it was, I think it was Dwight's (Clive Owen) voice-overs and hallucinations combined with the over-the-topness of the whores. This story follows Dwight as he tracks down a the ex-boyfriend of his current girlfriend. When the boyfriend gets killed the red light district, the girls discover that he was a cop and fear the truce of Old Town will be destroyed.

My over all impression... This is the most violent film I've ever seen. Granted, I can't make it through all of Audition. The photography was stunning, but then again I had to keep reminding myself that besides the actors, everything was animated. The raw themes of violence and sexuality worked well within the black and white animation. If this film had been adapted in a more standard method, I'm sure I would have puked or left at some point. With white blood and shadows, the violence becomes it's own disturbing art form.

The script was original and instantly classic in it's use of the voice over and the slightly campy tone - think Sunset Boulevard. Speaking of, this film has redefined noir, Neo-Noir if you will, that far surpasses L.A. Confidential.

As for the cast, most disappointing was Alexis Bledel whom I thought fell flat on her face with a chance to break out from her Rory persona. She's so great on the Gilmore Girls, is she in a rut? Her delivery of her lines felt awkward and forced and not in a creative purpose kind of way.

Oh, in case you're wondering, it's Carla Gugino. Who knew the mom from Spy Kids looked so good naked?

3 Comments:

At 2:47 PM, Blogger mr gilbert said...

agreed. gugino all the way. i've been a fan of her "work" for quite some time...

wassup, angie? yellow bastard doesn't do it for ya?

 
At 3:11 PM, Blogger Mitchell - Crumrine said...

To that I would like to add a resounding "ewwwwww." Nick Stahl even without his snazzy yellowness still isn't my type.

 
At 7:32 PM, Blogger Darren said...

Glad to see you can tell how much range Alexis Bledel has over the course of TWO episodes of Gilmore Girls.

And Nick Stahl is totally hot outside this movie.

I'd still go with Clive Owen, though. If only he and Rosario has switched outfits.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home