Monday, December 05, 2005

We didn't go up there to fish

I promised Darren that I would write a review of Brokeback Mountain and post it on this blog. I've had a rough week. Some of you may know why, and others, I keep a strong front. I've been watching a lot of films which I have yet to review here including Rent and Walk the Line. I don't really feel like writing a review on Brokeback Mountain. As the film conveys pure emotions through starkness, it seams a violation to attempt to use words to express everything that has been evoked inside me in the past 24 hours. I could write about both the surety and the doubt that exists in my own heart. I could write about my family and how watching Walk the Line, North Country, and now Brokeback Mountain has allowed me to reconnect with pride with things inside myself I've often tried to hide. I could write about the moments which play in my head over and over burned in my consciousness. I could write about the gut wrenching sorrow that exists in my heart from a decade of emptiness that will never again find fulfillmentment. Sometimes, for some people, happiness is only a once in a lifetime experience. I could do this, but if I started, I woudn't know where to end, and certainly not know how to get through the middle.

While I am dying to tell you about the haunting score which sounds like heart strings being plucked, the awe inspiring camera work, and one of the all time most power performances ever delivered by a leading man on screen (sorry Joaquin, you lose), I'll instead urge you and plead with you to see the film yourself. The trailer doesn't even begin to do this film justice, yet no 2 minute clip could. So, for now, I will leave you with only this.

"If you can't fix it, you gotta stand it."
Brokeback Mountain is the most compelling and heart wrenching love story that I have ever experienced. It is an instant classic and nearly impossible for anyone involved with the film to ever aspire to anything greater than this. To watch it, is to be in the shadow of humble greatness.

2 Comments:

At 7:39 PM, Blogger Darren said...

Hyperbole much?

Jen Lindley loves you.

And nothing about the sheep?

 
At 7:34 AM, Blogger Mitchell - Crumrine said...

That's hillarious. I made ben watch the trailer cause I was telling him all about the sheep and the score. I love sheep. I used to have a pet sheep. Her name was Lily. When Heath and Jake were carrying the babies, all I thought about was the post you put up about Jake and puggles and about how he's possibly too perfect. It's just the film is so tragic, that the cuteness of the sheep from the begining doesn't really carry through. Those were indeed, some nice sheep though. As a side note, I find it kind of creepy how homophobic Jake seems to be in some of his interviews. Almost like his he's very similar to his Jarhead character. Maybe cause Kirstin dumped him while he was filming this, he's scared people might think he is gay? I don't know. Now I'm rambling. I'll talk to you later.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home