Monday, January 09, 2006

Hajimemashite

Konichi Wa

So I haven’t blogged in a while and figured I should. Work has been fantastically busy since I returned from my holiday hiatus. This is actually a very good thing.

While in Ohio, the little sis and I tolerated the rest of the family during our traditional Christmas movie adventure. This year we endured King Kong, which just edged out Memoirs of a Geisha. I thought the film was great, but WAY too long. Some studio executive needs to learn to say “no” to Peter Jackson. Not every film he touches will be Lord of the Rings. A complex series of novels understandably will benefit from extra scream time. A 3 hour adaptation of an old black and white “moving picture” just becomes masturbatory. So my sister, for whom I adopted an orangutan at the Columbus Zoo just a few months ago, wept hysterically thoughout the drawn out inevitable conclusion. As I told people back in 1997-1998 while working in a box office, “Yes, it’s really that long and guess what? The boat sinks.”

So, since my return to the day-to-day, I’ve been bogged down with de-christmasafying my home and spending most of my time playing the new video games I received. I’ve been addicted to The Movies, which has its problems, but it’s loads of fun… Especially when I can use basic 3D modeling applications to “sculpt” my own stars. If you’re nice to me, maybe I’ll make one of you. I also received civ, but seeing that I have become unhealthily addicted to II and III, I’m a bit hesitant to open this package until after I’ve taken the GMAT.

Oh, the GMAT. So besides the SAT, and the SAT II, and the LSAT, time has now come to take the GMAT. My friend Darci asked why I needed to take a standardized test of some sort every few years? Is it to satisfy my own ego, or do I just have a sick and delusional concept of fun? Trust me, Darci, I find many more things fun (for $250) than a four hour test that leaves me with a mushy brain and an inferiority complex. This all of course relates to my move to the Mid West in the upcoming months as I try to get into grad school. That’s right… future investment banker here.

So, besides studying math and grammar every night, I’ve also started studying Japanese. The ironic thing is that I spent five years in speech therapy to lose the Japanese accent I picked up from my grandmother as a child. So now, 15+ years later, I’m trying to get it back. And learn the language while I’m at it.

I took a break from the games, housework, and studying this weekend and saw both Madagascar and March of the Penguins. Madagascar was funny, but only about as much as your average episode of The Family Guy, and utilizing references way over a child’s consciousness, ahem Tom Wolfe. It also had no point. Call me sentimental, but there was no greater good from the film other than the slightly inferred “message” of promoting vegetarianism. How would Nemo feel?

March of the Penguins on the other hand was very good. The cinematography was breathtaking as the film showed command for certain crafts often neglected in documentaries. All in all, it was more like a really good special on the National Geographic or The Science Channel than a feature release. Considering that this past weekend one of my friends learned that she is pregnant and another learned that his fiancée is cheating on him, the film came at a poignant time as we all watched the penguin families bond.

The Globes are a week away so thoughts will be abounding. I have yet to see Geisha, Munich, or Narnia which are all on my short list. I’m going to try to squeeze one in one Wednesday. The gay cowboys ride into town on Friday!

Until then…

Angie desu. Sayonara


p.s. Darren, what did you think of Pretty Persuasion?

2 Comments:

At 1:05 AM, Blogger Darren said...

OMG! You evil bitch. Take it off your queue now! It's like, soooooo bad. Evan was fantastic, but the movie was like Heathers, Mean Girls or Election minus all that is great or even remotely good about them. Not funny. Dark comedy is very hard to do and this is the failure that should be studied as how not to do it. Well, I wouldn't inflict the pain of watching it on anyone.

 
At 1:07 AM, Blogger Darren said...

Oh, and March of the Penguins is a really great example of how human beings have completely overcomplicated everything. Look at the penguins. All they do is LIVE and strive to do what is essential to keep going. Not to mention they seem so damn cute. Look to the penguins people! THE PENGUINS!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home